This time of year, there's a lot of garbage out there about "Detoxing" and "Cleansing."
So how do you separate fact from fiction?
Dr. Jillian Teta is back with us to talk about the differences between detoxing and cleansing, and the things to keep in mind if you pursue your own "Spring Cleaning."
What We Talk About
• Detox vs cleanse - what do they actually mean?
• Your body's "Big 5" paths to detoxification
• What helps and hurts your ability to detoxify
• Why you may need to try a cleanse, and how NOT to do it
• Dr. Jillian's take on the off-the-shelf "detox in a box"
• When cleansing is a waste of time, money and effort
• The one thing you MUST be doing before you pursue any cleanse
• How a practitioner can help you with a structured cleanse
• Her husband, Dr. Keoni Teta's take on the single best method to support continuous detoxification
Who is Dr. Jillian Teta?
Dr. Jillian is a medically-trained, naturopathic physician, the creator of the Fix Your Digestion gut restoration program and author of Natural Solutions for Digestive Health - a book that has been a huge success and has become a manual of sorts for anyone who has ever suffered from digestive distress, bloating, food intolerances, skin problems, digestive disorders, and people who simply want to achieve optimal gut health.
Visit www.onairwithella.com for more!
Download your free Life Map Worksheet at www.onairwithella.com before or after you listen to this episode!
What We Talk About:
•Kristen's journey from new mom who lost her husband, to quitting her corporate job and turning her passion into a business
•Stress is inevitable; how we manage it is our choice
•Work / Life Balance is bunk!
•The "Maestro Mindset"
•How you can use a Life Map to determine what you should focus on
•Stress isn’t just bad for your health, it contributes to aging, fat retention and relationship misery
•Motion does not equal progress
•How multi-tasking and procrastination are sabotaging your purpose
•Ella's continuous evolution from "over-busy" multi-tasker to non-crappy person
Kristen Brown is a renowned speaker, coach, widowed mom, award-winning entrepreneur and bestselling author of The Best Worst Thing: A Memoir, The Happy Hour Effect: Twelve Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life, and the forthcoming, The Entrepreneur Promise.
She is the founder of Happy Hour Effect, a company that helps people ignite their work and life, and in episode 022, she's telling us how to pull the plug on stress and distraction to plan a life with purpose.
All resources mentioned are available at www.onairwithella.com
This bonus episode is about shutting down mindless eating and stopping cravings in their tracks. Most cravings only lasts between 5 and 20 minutes, so implement any of these tips and override that overeating autopilo (click to expand)
What to Consume Instead:
1. BCAAs – Branch Chain Amino Acids - read about how they work to reduce cravings by decreasing your appetite, keeping your blood sugar steady, and reducing cortsiol levels here, or you can really geek out here.
2. L-Glutamine (amino acid supplement) - Many people swear by this supplement as a cravings killer. I like it because it's good for my gut, too. This blog does a good job of explaining the science and includes references to the data.
3. Soluble fiber – I like mixing acacia fiber in a glass of water (you can also add to a smoothie) - here's why. Note: don't overdo it or it will clog you up!
4. Cocoa - go for unsweetened cacao powder and make a hot chocolate (just mix with warmed almond milk) or a delicious, super simple dessert like avocado pudding or any of these suggestions inspired by the Paleo community.
BONUS: The team over at Metabolic Effect recently launched a new product called Craving Cocoa that combines a lot of these ingredients (BCAA, fiber and cacao) all in one great mix! Get it here.
5. Dark chocolate – I like 85% and higher, but make sure the cacao content is at least over 70%.
6. Fizzy water - I like seltzer/mineral water with lemon or lime added. Drink this first, then decide if you need the thing you were craving.
7. Replacement treats - sometimes these will work to shut down those cravings. Pay attention to what works for you:
• Decaf coffee (or tea) after a meal (note: the nutritional police are still debating this one, but it works for me)
• 1 glass (or 1/2 glass) of red wine after a meal
• Have whatever you're craving PLUS a healthy treat. For example, chocolate with an apple; half that cupcake and a pear, etc.
• Paleo desserts - as mentioned above, make something yummy without a load of sugar in it. Just google "Paleo desserts" or scroll through my Facebook page for ideas. There are so many super easy things you can make in 5 minutes that are utterly satisfying and don't sabotage your wellness goals.
What to DO instead:
INTERRUPT THE PATTERN!
• Brush your teeth and drink a tall glass of water
• Chew 100% Xylitol Gum or a super strong mint
• Get visual – keep a picture of you looking great or of something that makes you happy and reminds you of you at your best!
• Get outside: breathe deeply (all the way down in your belly) and/or walk for 10-20 mins.
• Do a 1-minute cardio blitz. For example, jump on a rebounder (mini-trampoline) or do 25 jumping jacks and 10 burpees right there in the kitchen - better yet, turn on some music and DANCE!
• Get naked. Or, just change clothes into something you love. Anything to be reminded of being in your body.
• Or, just EAT IT, but don’t eat AROUND IT. For Pete's sake, it's just FOOD. Be the boss of it. Eat it, enjoy it and pat yourself on the back for not freaking out. Don't eat everything else in sight in order to avoid that thing you're craving.
Stock Your Pantry: $10 PROMO CODE to Vitacost.com
The links above will take you to Amazon, which has great prices, but for the supplements mentioned (e.g. BCAA and L-Glutamine), I prefer Vitacost.com for even better prices and selection. Here's a referral link for $10 toward your first purchase of $30 or more at Vitacost.com: http://goo.gl/NtLXey
What Works for You?
I want to know what works for you. Leave a comment, and don't forget to subscribe to the show in iTunes so you get all the latest episodes!
Find all resources mentioned at www.onairwithella.com
"The way you eat. The way you play. The way you live. It’s all preparation for everything going right in your life."
I've been reading and following Mary, The Paleo Chef for awhile now, and she never ceases to impress me. She is a woman of many talents, from food to business to mindset and relationships - and now she's talking to us about her recipe for a purposeful, fulfilling life: Eat Clean, Play Often, Crush Life.
What We Talk About:
- How to be a bad ass like Mary
- What it means to EAT, PLAY, CRUSH
- How Mary went from a successful career in Silicon Valley to cooking and coaching celebrities
- Freeze tag and roller blading - the keys to happiness?
- That time Mary ate an entire lasagna and
- 5 Steps to Power: Balance, Intention, Manifestation, Freedom, Self-Mastery
- Life is short and precious. Let's make the most of it, shall we?
"If you are going to assume an outcome about a risk, why not assume it will be brilliant?"
For daily #eatplaycrush inspiration and motivation, follow @paleochef on Instagram and Twitter.
Resources Mentioned: get them all at www.onairwithella.com
Dr. Jade Teta literally wrote the book on health and fitness. His uber-successful Metabolic Effect program has achieved international raves for its simplicity, effectiveness and impact. It's not a diet, it's THE outline for healthy eating, fitness and fat loss.
Dr. Jade took the time to walk us through the Metabolic Effect approach - with dozens of specific actions and tactics sprinkled throughout from his books, including the information he's only just sharing now in his new book, Lose Weight Here: The Metabolic Secret to Target Stubborn Fat and Fix Your Problem Areas.
So, take the time on this one. Come back and listen again. Pay attention, make notes. This might be the one thing you needed to move toward permanent change.
What We Talk About:
• Dieter: NO. Detective: YES.
• Your best clues: Hunger, Energy, Cravings, Body Composition, Health Markers
• How to make a change: where to start, what to do
• So, what do we eat?
• Specific food strategies that work for fat loss
• How to manage cravings
• Trigger foods vs buffer foods
• Calories: do they matter or not? (final answer!)
• So, can we eat fat, starch and sugar or not?
• Examples of small changes you can start making now for long term change
• What to order if you’re eating fast food
• Willpower vs Skillpower
• Jade’s Italian. He likes food. I just thought you should know this.
• How to apply “structured flexibility” to get where you want to go
• Exercise: As little as possible, as hard as possible, for the result you're seeking
• Jade’s “always order dessert” strategy
• The “As If” Jedi mind trick you can use to accomplish your goals
• How Jade travels without sabotaging his fitness
• Real Men take walks (chicks, too)
There's no such thing as "no time," there’s just "priority" and "non-priority." - Dr. Jade Teta
Resources We Mention:
• The 15-minute workout series: Metabolic Aftershock
• And the absolute classic: The Metabolic Effect Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest
Who is Dr. Jade Teta?
Dr. Jade Teta is an integrative physician specializing in natural health, fitness and body transformation. He is the co-author of The Metabolic Effect Diet and Lose Weight Here. Dr. Jade has worked in the fitness and weight loss fields for over 20 years, and is the co-developer of the rest-based training system for personal training and group exercise. He is also the co-founder of the Naturopathic Health Clinic of North Carolina and of the health, fitness and international fat loss company, Metabolic Effect. His background in natural medicine, along with his fitness expertise, has defined his healthcare specialties of hormonal weight loss and functional medicine approaches to chronic disease.
Learn more at www.onairwithella.com
Blanca Cobb is sharing expert tips on how to master your body language in order to get what you want.